The Intelligencer October 14, 1915 (page 1)

“A New War Order. Bars Closed at 8. Provincial License Commission Makes Experimental Order, Endorsed by Government and Minister of Militia, Which will be in Force Until Close of War. Commencing Monday, Nov. 1, all Ontario hotel bars must close sharp at 8 o’clock, except on Saturday evening, when, as usual they will close at 7. …

In a lengthy statement, Hon. W.H. Hearst says: ‘The great necessity for economy and thrift on the part of the people, and the necessity for fitness, not only on the part of our soldiers, but on the part of our people generally, for the great struggle in which we are engaged, will, the government feels assured, justify the action taken, and it is confident that even those who may suffer financially will be prepared to make the necessary sacrifice for the general good.’ ”

The Intelligencer October 14, 1915 (page 3)

“The Khaki Club. Ladies of Belleville Are Providing a Home For the Soldiers of 80th Battalion. The ladies who are members of the Belleville Ladies’ Rifle Club recently formed what is termed a Khaki Club, and with their usual foresight and sympathy are exerting their energies for the comfort of the non-commissioned officers and men of the 80th Battalion who will in the near future be stationed in this city. The scheme they have in view was placed before Col. W.G. Ketcheson, the commanding officer of the battalion. …  Their proposition was heartily concurred in by the Colonel.

The ladies have secured for temporary use the commodious brick building at the corner of Pinnacle and Dundas streets which was at one time known as the Canadian House. It is the intention to convert this building into quarters to be used by the non-commissioned officers and men whilst in the city. It is in every respect suited for this object.

On the ground floor are three commodious apartments, and these will be utilized as a reading and writing room, a reception room, kitchen and a dry canteen. The latter room is large and will be appropriately fitted up. It is intended by the ladies to have this part of the premises made attractive. A large counter will be installed and tea, coffee and soft drinks will be procurable, also sandwiches and other refreshments. Adjoining the canteen will be the kitchen which will be provided with all the necessary paraphernalia for furnishing refreshments.

The upper storey of the building, in which there are a number of bedrooms and two other rooms, will be suitably furnished. In the rear portion of this part of the building suitable rooms will be fitted up for the sergeant or any other person who may be placed in charge. These apartments will be so arranged that the man in charge, if married, will have every accommodation for himself and family. Commodious cloak rooms are provided as adjuncts to the bedroom.

A large airy room will be devoted as a game room, and in addition an instrument will be installed. This will no doubt prove to be one of the most attractive rooms of the club. When the building has been furnished it is the intention of the ladies to hold an open meeting, in order that citizens may visit the place and inspect the quarters.

Whilst the ladies of the club have already received some donations of furniture, etc., they are still in need of much more, and any gifts of this nature will not only be received with gratitude, but suitably acknowledged. That this will prove a great boon and comfort to the brave boys who have enlisted for overseas service there is not the slightest doubt, and the ladies who have worked so assiduously for the accomplishment of the object will in due time receive their reward in the knowledge that their praiseworthy efforts are appreciated by the soldiers.”