The Intelligencer December 3, 1915 (page 1)

“Tearing Down a Doctor’s Sign. Magistrate Masson, this morning in Belleville Police Court, fined each of the British enthusiasts who were charged with destroying Dr. Kimmel’s sign-board, five dollars to cover the expenses of the court, and to provide a new sign. Total, $13. The defendants pleaded that they saw what they took to be an Iron Cross plainly printed on this board; this coupled with the fact that the doctor’s name sounds German, proved too great a shock for the patriotic young men, one of whom at least has volunteered for overseas service.

Dr. Kimmel stated that the cross, instead of being the symbol of Teutonic bravery, was a Maltese cross, and in fact, was not placed there at his directions at all, but just put on as a decoration by the painter, Mr. McKenna.”

The Intelligencer December 3, 1915 (page 1)

“Fire Breaks Out at Military Quarters. At a few minutes before 6 o’clock last evening fire broke out in what is known as the officers quarters at Belleville, being part of the old Armouries and situated on Church street. Of late the building had been used as a hospital for the 39th Battalion also for the 80th Battalion. Apartments in the building were also utilized by the 34th Battery, and as headquarters of the 49th Hastings Regiment.

The fire originated in the basement, supposedly from the furnace and before it was extinguished considerable damage was sustained to the interior of the building. At the outbreak of the fire there were seven members of the 80th Battalion in the building, who were on the sick list, but not seriously ill. They were taken into quarters in the new Armouries.

Stored in the building were 19,000 rounds of ammunition, which was removed as quickly as possible to a place of safety by members of the 80th Battalion, who rendered valuable services in various ways. …

The fire brigade, under the superintendency of Chief Brown worked vigorously and succeeded in subduing the flames after a rather stubborn fight, and despite the fact that at times the smoke was suffocating. The flames were confined to the basement and ground floor. The damage done will amount to several hundred dollars. The building, being the property of the Dominion Government, was not insured.”

The Intelligencer December 3, 1915 (page 3)

“Patriotic Tea. One of the most successful teas of the season was held at the Quinte tea room by the Women’s Rifle Club on the afternoon of the 2nd of December. The colors of the Club, toy rifles and cannons and numerous candelabra formed very effective decorations.

Miss Higgs, Mr. Wheatley, Miss McDonnell and Miss Walton contributed four numbers to the programme and the orchestra of the 80th played the remainder of the afternoon. The sum of $103.00 was realized which will be added to the Khaki Club fund.”