- Community Archives of Belleville and Hastings County - http://cabhc.ca -

100 Years Ago: Queen’s Canadian Military Hospital, Intelligencer Tobacco Fund

The Intelligencer June 24, 1915 (page 7)

“The Queen’s Canadian Military Hospital was organized at the commencement of the war by Canadians in London, England, for the special purpose of treating Canadian wounded. …  It is beautifully situated at Beachborough Park, which is being kindly loaned for the purpose by Sir Arthur and Lady Markham.

The hospital, which is supported by voluntary contributions of friends in England and Canada, is urgently in need of funds and of all kinds of surgical supplies and dressings; especially gauze bandages. Any person desiring to assist the work of the hospital in caring for the Canadian wounded will kindly send funds or supplies to Lieut. Col. Donald Armour, The Queen’s Canadian Military Hospital, Beachborough, Shorncliffe, England.”

The Intelligencer June 24, 1915 (page 7)

“Intelligencer Tobacco Fund. To Provide the Soldiers at the Front with Tobacco, Cigarettes and Chewing Gum. Previously acknowledged 2575 Cents. Mrs. J.R. Stephenson 100 Cents. ‘A Non-Smoker’ 100 Cents.

A Non-Smoker’s contribution is an eloquent rebuke to that section of Methodists at the Toronto Conference who protested against sending tobacco to our soldiers at the front.”