The Intelligencer July 3, 1915 (page 7)
“Relics of the War. Sent Home by Charles Sprague, of the Divisional Signalling Corps. Mrs. E.C. Sprague, North Front St. has received several interesting articles from the firing line, from her son, Charles Sprague, who is with the Divisional Signalling Corps. Amongst them is a piece of a German ‘Jack Johnson,’ about one inch and a quarter in thickness, and weighing nearly a pound. It is made of the best steel, and gives evidence of the tremendous strength of the explosive used.
There are clips of German, French, and British cartridges and all are different. The French are entirely different from either of the others in shape and material used being shorter, thicker, while the bullet itself is of copper. The German bullet is sharper nosed than the English or French, and it does not give a clean wound, but a ripping gash.
A French shrapnel shell, made of brass, is beautifully cut, cleaned and mounted by the field blacksmith. It is also nicely engraved and ornamented with French and British bullets united. They will all be on exhibit at E. Sprague’s Tailoring store.”