Ann Maria Williams was born in Manchester, England on Feb 18, 1888 daughter of John Williams and Maria Lever.
She was educated locally and graduated from the Nursing School at Salford, England on Apr 9, 1912. Miss Williams enlisted with Britain’s Territorial Nursing Service at the height of the War in 1915.
In 1916 she was sent to the Western Front to serve at a British Army base hospital in France. Her individual contribution was such that she was mentioned in despatches for “gallant service” by the British Commander, Field Marshall Sir Douglas Haig. In 1919, Miss Williams was awarded the O.B.E.
She immigrated to Canada in Oct 1920 aboard the vessel Victorian, was first employed at the St. Andrew’s Hospital in New Brunswick and later at the Tuberculosis Mountain Sanatorium in Hamilton, Ontario. Miss Williams was united in marriage on Apr 21, 1923 to CAMC Veteran Arthur Rawson and settled at St Catharines, Ontario removing to Belleville about 1929, residing at 27 Sinclair Street. Here the couple raised their family and she became the first woman charter member of the Army, Navy and Air Force Veteran’s Association. After the death of her husband Mrs. Rawson resided at 19 Yeomans Street.
Ann Maria Rawson died at the Belleville General Hospital on Dec 13, 1967 aged 79 years 9 months 25 days. She is interred at the Belleville Cemetery Section B Row 4 Grave 43.